Monday, January 17

I think everyone else was writing about this three years ago, but...

So I finally broke down and watched Sex and the City 2 while we were snowed in.  I told myself it would be worth the $5 on-demand price just to look at the fashion and decor.  A day later and I'm still thinking  - "Now there's two and and a half hours that I'll never get back..."  I've decided that it isn't just the camp that makes me sad for SJP and Co, it's also Carrie and Big's apartment. Was it beautiful? Yes. But more than a little soulless.  And as any fan of the SATC series knows, our girl is anything but soulless. I know I'm not the only one who loved Carrie's original West Village apartment (don't get me started on the remodel of this in the first movie); I think I remember an early Design*Sponge post about the vintage Marimekko curtains by her desk.  I loved her apartment because it was tidy, but not perfect - fashion magazines and books stacked on shelves and the radiator, dresses falling out of her closet - and it certainly had personality.  While some may say that Carrie and Big's aspirational, whitewashed apartment represents her newish married life with Big, I'm not convinced. I miss our girl.
(photo from http://www.sensationalcolor.com/)

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I also find it funny that during the big Atlanta Snow Storm, I watched SATC 2 also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! Carrie and Big's apartment was NYC gone Hollywood. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only guess they were trying to appeal to a mass audience. I also liked Carrie's wardrobe when it was a little more vintage, a little less runway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Carrie and Big's marital apartment but felt that it was more Big than Carrie.
    If SATC were true I kinda understand the translation. If Carrie were to marry Big in the real world I get the feeling that she perhaps would have forgone her own personal style slightly in a bid to make Big feel like they are the perfect match. I know that he's the love of her life etc. but throughout their whole relationship it's Big who is the dominant one, she would have moved in with him, never the other way around for example. In SATC 2 Carrie does loose her way and loose the essence of herself somewhat. I feel that the decor within the marital apartment enables the viewer to capture this perfectly.
    Hope it makes sense, when I first saw it I loved the grown up look but felt that Carrie was trying to prove that her singledom was well and truly over and that she was serious, grown up and married. Let's face it, there are plenty of people out there that feel the need to change as soon as they are married.
    The interiors were spot on I felt and enabled me to grasp the true meaning of the story... As flimsy as it was!

    ReplyDelete